Sunday, May 30, 2010

Mako: The Jaws of Death (1976)

Filmed without the benefit of cages or mechanical sharks to offer protection!

A man accidentally learns that he has a mystical connection with sharks, and is given a strange medallion by a shaman. Becoming more and more alienated from normal society, he develops an ability to communicate with sharks telepathically, setting out to destroy anybody who harms sharks.

Mako: The Jaws of Death (1976)
Cast: Richard Jaeckel, Jennifer Bishop, Buffy Dee, Harold Sakata, John Davis Chandler

1 comment:

  1. I have owned this great film for many years and remember it fondly. However, what I find very interesting mostly about this film, especially regarding talking about it, is the odd fact that there are no photos and more in-depth talk about the scene consisting of "Sonny" after swimming for his life while being chased by pirates in Mindanao, Phillippenes, is the scene in which the tale revolves. Meaning, there are no photos of the wooden shark shrine, which is so beautiful as well as ties into the movie and its specific era of time upon its initial release-1976-a better time, which in addition with the "grainy" 8 mm film back then, placing it all together, brings more personal meaning in this special film. I loved that scene, and especially where I actually worship sharks, especially the great white, being part Cree Indian, this special totem chose me when I was 7 years old, and the film came out when I was 9. Again, I honestly wish there was more out there on the internet pertaining exclusively to this scene and the wooden SHARK SHRINE. I know this shaman, a Nganasan Philllippino, was also not mentioned anywhere in the listing of characters in this iconic film-WHY? I know he was real, and he died in 1980 at the age of about 64. Lama Milkweed L. Augustine PhD author of 14 books, artist, pacifist leader, Buddhist religious leader

    ReplyDelete